04 May 2009

starbase: where no turtle has gone before

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (on the Super Nintendo) was something I spent a lot of time playing when I was younger. It probably got to the point where I could get through that first time-travel level (the one with the dinosaurs, where you had to fight Slash - the evil mutated snapping turtle, trained by Shredder to, well, shred the Turtles) without opening my eyes, so well did I know the patterns of the Foot-Clan-Soldiers-Riding-Dinosaurs and the falling (exploding?) stalactites. I miss the side-scrolling, beat-'em-up games pretty badly, truth be told (Final Fight 1-3, Double Dragon, Battletoads, The Simpsons arcade game... If you could run around with one or more of your friends and hit robots/ninjas/robot ninjas/Sideshow Bob, I was more than willing to play it); that's why I got so into Castle Crashers when it made its way to the XBox Live Arcade. Violent and funny is a perfect recipie for a video game, I've always thought.

So, upon hearing that an HD revamp/release of TMNT IV was imminent (well, it'll happen this year, anyway), I couldn't be anything but excited, right? Look here; the video quality is crummy, but it's still Leonardo (who still battles with Donatello daily for the #1 Turtle in my heart), on a pirate ship, with Foot Clan soldiers. He steps on the wrong plank and it hits him in the face! His foot catches on fire and he jumps around! Just like I remember! And it looks better than before... Maybe! I don't know!

The idea of playing this game with friends with whom I still speak is very compelling. Plus, I just have to know how the futuristic surfing level looks... I want to beat Krang senseless. I want to blow up Metalhead... I want my Super Nintendo back.

Please tell me I'm not in the "nostalgia" market already. There should be so much more awesome stuff ahead that I can leave the past in the past. Who the hell am I kidding? I'm going to buy this the second it comes out.

Oh, and if you've not seen this video, dear reader, take a moment. You will never regret it.

No comments: