30 April 2009

on the subject of green day

I'll attempt to conserve words here: American Idiot is an amazing album. It just goes to show you that you never really know what people are capable of (well, I did, but that's kind of beside the point).

Based solely on "Know Your Enemy," a song I've listened to about nine times this morning (another perfect three minute Green Day song, with lyrics so simple and potent that they're white-hot), I feel pretty confident in Green Day having learned the virtues of competing way above your expected weight class. That is to say, 21st Century Breakdown, which was a hotly anticipated album of mine, is now the big thing for me this summer, with the exception of the release of the new Star Trek movie.

Go here. Listen to it. Don't even watch the video (which is a great video, by the way - it's smart, simple, and beats you over the head and through the heart with its point, just like the best Green Day songs). Listen to it again. Maybe even one more time. If you still don't feel it, well, you can't say I didn't try.

1 comment:

JTG said...

I'm not gonna lie here... "Know Your Enemy" has really grown on me. The first time I heard it, it was like, "Oh, that's pretty good." With each subsequent time I've heard it, it grows on me more and more and it looks like, if the rest of the album is like this, that it could nearly be on the same level as "American Idiot."