17 March 2009

the expensive movie that looks like a little movie

Usually I hate it; this time I don't.

Why not? It's simple, really: Sam Mendes. Why is it that the British seem to do a better job deconstructing America than we do?

John Krasinski (whose back I will always have because of The Office) looks like he may well have found his gateway into feature films - I guessed he'd have to wait until the Cohen brothers cast him, but Mendes... I'd not yet reckoned with Mendes. I have high hopes, in fact.

The whole cast, really, appears to be something to behold. Maya Rudolph - who was just as fantastic as anyone in Idiocracy, Jeff Daniels (Jeff Daniels!!), Jim Gaffigan, Allison Janney (man, that's going to be one hell of a married couple), Maggie Gyllenhaal...

The story seems pretty standard, indie-like movie fare, but (once again)... Sam Mendes! With a script co-written by Dave Eggers! How much more upside could this indie-movie-that-isn't need?

I don't much like the Sufjan Stevens-esque title card, but if that's all I can complain about, hey, go movie.

No comments: