10 February 2009

to take a break from the unimportant, and spend some time in the realm of the important...

On Saturday, Carlos said, "It's not trickle-down economics, it's golden shower economics."

Version 2.0 of the Republican Party's pandering realization-that-there-are-more-than-just-white-men in this country, Michael Steele, says one of the most batshit insane things I've ever heard, that government hasn't created a single job. Ever.

Apparently, it's harder to save the world than I thought.

Joe Lieberman is still a worthless, douchebag piece of shit.

Mitt Romney's almost neck-and-neck with him, these days.


And I don't understand why anyone thinks Rush Limbaugh's opinion is worth anything at all in this day and age; hasn't he engaged himself, for as long as I've been aware of him, in backing the very sort of people that've brought us to the very edge of catastrophe? Isn't he a liar, a hypocrite, and a spewer of the foulest sort of hate speech? Who would want to apologize to him after calling him precisely what he is?

With an opposition party like the Republicans, who needs global terrorism?

And let's not even get started on the Army's suicide figures for January.


Maybe the world really is getting worse. I mean, no time period in global history was safe from its share of strife, and saying otherwise is basically idiotic, but even when our very way of life was under attack (and I'm speaking here as a pro-democracy westerner), we still had that certainty to surround us, to penetrate us, to bind ourselves together. That duct tape-like security is getting torn away, seemingly by the minute. If we don't have that, what the hell is left? Do we jump blindly into the hands of someone, anyone who promises order and stability and a return to what people like Ronald Reagan want us to think the 50s were like?

Obviously, since we elected Obama, that's not the case (not yet, anyway, but I'm trying to be more optimistic than I used to be), since he promises us hard work, sacrifice, and a certain amount of pain and suffering before we come to whatever version of the Promised Land we've lowered our expectations to believe in this week.

The point is, throughout this whole disastrous clusterfuck of a meltdown, I've been worried, but not scared. I figured people - no matter their background, ideology, or programming - would eventually realize the enormity of what we were facing, and unite together to stop it, to put aside the petty bullshit and focus on what really matters (the same way I'd hoped we'd fight the climate crisis, the end of oil, overpopulation, and every other major issue that'll probably rear its head during my lifetime). I'm not seeing that happening.

It still could; I think there's time. I probably need to figure out how to facilitate it myself, or at least make a more substantial contribution than doom-and-gloom whining on my little corner of the Internet that virtually no one else accesses.

Jeffrey Feldman writes about this last little topical shift of mine with far more grace, and a hell of a lot more... hope, than I do. His words, and the President's. I'm crossing my fingers.

I need to do more than that.

No comments: